17.5.13

poetry

IMG_1350IMG_1254

AN APOLOGY
I once said, “I will grow up and never sleep
I will leave vegetables on my plate
I’ll have ice cream and cookies everyday
I will swim in the lake before it’s warm

I will wear my pajamas all day long
I will not brush my teeth in the morning
I will own a farm and a thousand horses
I will wear the same shirt for six days straight.”

But, youngster, growing up isn’t what you think
Your eyes will droop and you’ll sleep anyway
You eat the vegetables and avoid the sugar
(they said it’ll make your body ugly)

The lake water is full of dirt and grime
You have to dress nice so they’ll all love you
Your breath must be fresh, so they don’t hate you
(even you will learn to despise sugar-coated teeth)

You stopped loving horses and long for the city
And the stench of an old shirt’ll make you cringe.
Dear youngster, I’m sorry being older isn’t perfect.
Things are different than you thought they would be.




_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hey, remember me? it's Megan Kristine, back as an AOU author. I'm so very excited to be back writing with fab team here. I love this blog and it's mission and WOW! you are all so amazing. See you next friday. -M

15 comments:

  1. ugghhhhhh this is EVERYTHING i'm going through right now.
    ALSO SHE'S BACKKKKKKKKKK
    HUZZZZAAAAHHH

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious but true. Welcome back, lovely lady! So good to see you here again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost skimmed this without really reading it. glad I didn't. really really thought-provoking and lovely, Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Words that make you think... I like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow. this is wonderful and bittersweet. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is SO poignant for me now.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. how true... Growing up is different than I ever imagined. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my gosh. this is perfection. and gahhh i'm so excited you're here!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes. Yes. This is my life.

    Welcome!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pictures... and you're right!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just LOVE ALL YOUR STUFF SO MUCH OKAY. AND YOU ARE AWESOME. AND I'M SO GLAD YOU'RE BACK. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete