9.5.13

perfection


I am a perfectionist. I have been a perfectionist for a long, long time. I like my room to be spotless & clean, the pillows on my bed to be fluffed 'just so,' and the books on my shelf to be arranged according to height & author. Every time I walk past a front yard dotted with giant dandelions I get a sudden urge to go grab some gardening gloves. I have had germophobia ever since I read a science book when I was seven & I wash my hands all the time. I cannot imagine life without my daily planner at hand.

But here's the thing... I get frustrated sometimes. I get frustrated because sometimes things don't go according to plan. MY plan. Sometimes I focus too much on doing things perfectly & 'just so.' But life isn't like that. Sometimes getting dirty is not a choice. No matter how much I plan, something unexpected will always pop up.

The spontaneous things in life, I believe those are God's way of saying, "Hey, you're not in charge. You're not the one planning out your life. I am. Just trust me." Sometimes we get too caught up in ourselves that we forget who it is that's really in charge. We need to remember that God holds the reins, not us. That's not to say that we should just sit around because "Well, we're not in charge anyways so we'll just let our lives unfold & if God wants something to happen He can make it happen by Himself." Ummm... no. That's actually called laziness. We still need to work hard & do our very best at everything. BUT we need to remember that we can't achieve perfection. Not in this life.

We need to embrace the spontaneous & the dirty & the trials & the pain. God sent them for a reason. To shape, to teach, & to grow us so we can become who He made us to be.

Don't ever forgot that, okay?
hugs, eve

8 comments:

  1. Hi. Meet another perfectionist-germiphobe-type A girl.
    Totally get the struggle, and I often think that God allows messes in our lives to perfect our character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEE-utiful shot and heart-throbbing words. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a perfectionist also, but I don't mind germs/bacteria as much...Though I adore anti-bacterial handsanitizer.

    And I know, right? Daily planners are a must. My bookshelves are arranged according to height and rainbow spines! (I also quite like dandelions, but there's just a sense of satisfaction when you get to pull up weeds.)

    Even though I hate it when things don't go my way, you are very correct when you said that not everything can go your way all the time.

    Thanks for the post,
    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true, Eve! Perfectionism is one of the things which plagues me all the time--and when things don't go according to plan, well, it gets devastating. Thank you for this beautiful reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is good stuff. Unfortunately, I am FAR from a perfectionist. Which is probably why I drive you insane. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad I'm not the only one. I used to be the exact same way. I've changed a little bit but still have the same phobia over certain things. I'm glad to see I am not alone.

    Great post. Very inspiring. <3

    xoxo
    Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a 'tidy' person. REALLY tidy. Everything has to be in its place.... But I've been realizing recently just what you said. 'Stuff' doesn't go according to plan, not to my plan. But that's ok 'cause it goes according to God's perfect plan. Sometimes I just gotta let go and trust God and do my best. :)

    xo
    Sarah
    http://afreemindsw.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This PHOTO is perfection, seriously.
    But yes, I'm a perfectionist too... not so much as an OCD perfectionist, more like I want everything I create to be perfect. And because I'm not perfect, the things I create aren't either. So I end up frustrated with my creation and mad at myself and drown in self pity and self loathing. Basically.
    But what you said is great. You're great. And we all love you to deaaattth.

    ReplyDelete